Wednesday, June 20, 2012

What is hell?

“I am thy father’s spirit, doom’d for a certain term to walk the night, and for the day confined to fast in fires, till the foul crimes done in my days of nature are burnt and purged away.  But that I am forbid to tell the secrets of my prison-house, I could a tale unfold whose lightest word would harrow up thy soul, freeze thy young blood, make thy two eyes, like stars, start from their spheres, thy knotted and combined locks to part and each particular hair to stand an end, like quills upon the fretful porpentine.  But this eternal blazon must not be to ears of flesh and blood” (Shakespeare, “Hamlet”, 23).

What is hell?  Shakespeare’s dread description of purgatory reminds me of a quote I heard, attributed to the prophet Brigham Young: 

“Hell is when the man you are comes face to face with the man you could have—and should have—become.” 

I believe that statement.  To experience hell is to enter eternity, conscience of one’s shortcomings, and stare into the face of unfulfilled potential, and unreachable glory.

I also believe that at times in mortality we are given a foretaste of hell.  Such experiences occur when we are guilty of unrepentant sin.  Our awareness of our own faults is like “thorns that in [our] bosom lodge, to prick and sting [us]” (Shakespeare, “Hamlet,” 25).